John Ev. Lutheran Church
Sudbury, Massachusetts USA
J. W. Walker & Sons Ltd.
Compass of Manuals
CC - A, 58 Notes
Compass of Pedals CCC - F, 30 Notes
1. Open Diapason 50% tin 8' 58 Pipes
2. Stopped Diapason Wood 8' 58
3. Principal 70% tin 4'58
4. Spindle Flute 25% tin 4' 58
5. Flageolet 50% tin 2' 58
6. Mixture 70% tin IV 232
7. Sesquialtera 50% tin 116
ii. Swell to Great
8. Chimney Flute 50% tin 8' 58 Pipes
9. Salicional 50% tin 8' 58
10. Voix Celeste (t.c.) 50% tin 8' 46
11. Gemshorn 50% tin 4' 58
12. Clear Flute 25% tin 4' 58
13. Fif teenth 70% tin 2' 58
14. Quint 25% tin 1 1/13' 58
15. Sharp Mixture 50% tin III 174
16. Trumpet 50% tin 8' 58
iv. Sub Octave Coupler
17. Subbass Wood 16' 30 Pipes
18. Octave 50% tin 8' 58
19. Bass Flute from No. 15 8' 12
20. Choral Bass 50% tin 4' 30
21. Trombone Wood 16' 30
v. Great to Pedal
vi. Swell to Pedal
Mechanical Action with Electric Combination and Stop Action
About J.W. Walker and the St John's Instrument
J.W. Walker & Sons, Ltd., founded in 1828, trace their origins back to the illustrious sixteenth-century organ builder Thomas Dallam, whose exqui site organ case still graces the chapel of King's College in Cambridge, England. Today, after 160 years of exporting organs worldwide, Walker operates from one of the most modern purpose-built organ builders' workshops in Europe.
Recognition of the firm's craftsmanship came from the English Royal Family in 1880, when the Prince of Wales ordered the new instrument for their country estate at Sandringham, and later, as King Edward VII ordered a larger instrument. Queen Victoria made gifts of Walker Organs. The Royal Appointment was continued by: King George V in 1920; King George VI in 1940; and currently by appointment to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. Many other worldwide commissions and distinctions throughout their long history have given J.W. Walker & Sons global renown for their quality, durability and attention to detail, truly placing them in the forefront of the minds of discerning musicians.
The free-standing case of St. John's new Walker organ serves to focus and project the sound, for a musical, as well as visual, purpose. Designed by Walker's architect David Graebe, it is made form Brazilian mahogany. The case pipes are made of tin mined in Thailand. Derek Riley hand carved the shades at the tops of the case pipes. These decorative items depict the instruments of praise from the 150th Psalm and also function to help mix and filter the sound that emerges.
Walker's technical designer Andrew Pennells used a variety of materials and hardwoods imported from many countries for the construction of the organ, including: Rosewood from India for the sharp keys and drawstop knobs; African utile for the main structure; Canadian pine for the Pedal Subbass; American oak pedal keys; Western red cedar trackers; American basswood for the manual keyboards. The action parts are made variously of American hard maple, titanium brass and steel, according to their functions. The natural keys are covered in cow bone, and the stop names are hand engraved on ivory. The organ weighs 7,800 pounds.
Tonally, the Walker Organ is built in a style which embraces all schools of music. The organ has two Manuals and Pedals with 21 speaking stops, four couplers and two tremulants, comprising 26 ranks and 1,384 pipes grouped into distinct divisions within the case and each provided at the console with its own keyboard to form its own harmonically complete chorus. Walker's tonal director Michael Butler designed the dimensions and other technical details for the construction of the pipes, while Paul Fulcher, his assistant, undertook the voicing and tuinfing of the instrument. The pipes are made of various alloys of tin and lead or wood, according to the tone required from each rank. All the pipes, as indeed all other parts except the electrical components., are manufactured by Walker craftsmen.
The manual and
pedal actions of the organ are tracker, while the stop control is electro-magnetic,
with a solid state capture combination action. The organ was constructed and
assembled in Walkers workshops in Suffolk, England, under the direction of Andrew
Dolby, then packed in a sea-going container for its journey to Sudbury. The
unpacking and installation was undertaken by Andrew Pennells and Walker's American
sales and installation manager George Gilliam.